CELEBRATING OUR HISTORY
Woodmont began as a vision of several families in the summer of 1960. The men of the families were deacons who, along with their wives, were active members of First Baptist Church of Florence. They made the prayerful decision to leave First Baptist Church and establish a new church in the northeast area of the city.
On February 25, 1961, a meeting was held at the home of Doug and Virginia Lambert for the purpose of implementing plans to establish a new church. Thirty-two people were in attendance, with seventeen families represented. Through prayer, they began to seek spiritual guidance and a practical approach to the business life of the church.
These dedicated families indicated support for the church by pledging $232 a week, or approximately $12,000 a year. A permanent building site on Darby Drive was selected and purchased for $40,000. Plans were made for the first building, and a $100,000 construction bond issue was sold in only two weeks. A residence at 1501 Cullman Street was leased for church services.
On March 5, 1961, the first church services were held with a fully-graded Sunday School, Training Union, Women’s Missionary Union, and visitation program. Rev. Earle Trent served three months as the first interim pastor of the Cullman Street congregation. Rev. Dick Waggener accepted the call as the first pastor and served from November 1961 through 1974. Ground was broken for the new church on Darby Drive on November 19, 1961 with the first services held in June of 1962. Pastors since 1974 have been Rev. Jim Compton, 1975-1979; Jody Gamble, 1979-1986; Dr. Bill Trapp, 1987-2000; Rev. Danny Hedgepeth, 2000-2004; Rev. Jerry Rea, 2006-2015; and Chad Hess, 2017-present.
From the beginning, Woodmont has been composed of people who were willing to give of the time, talents, and money to establish a “Family of Faith on Mission” that would glorify God. Woodmont has grown from 72 charter members to the present membership of 1894.
Since the dedication of our first sanctuary on June 1, 1962, Woodmont has been blessed with numerous buildings. In 1962 the chapel and what is currently our church offices was constructed. In 1966 the “north wing” addition was added where the parlor and other offices are today. In 1977 additional education space was added that included a portion of our current gymnasium. In 1989 the children’s wing and extension of the gym was completed and worship services began being held in the gym. In 2002 Woodmont purchased the East Campus but would not take possession of the property until four years later. In 2003 our worship center was completed. As our church has grown, so has our commitment and desire to seek and serve our Lord and furthering the transformational message of the risen Lord.
Pictured: East Campus and Main campus in background