The Lord your God is among you, a warrior who saves.
He will rejoice over you with gladness.
He will be quiet in his love.
He will delight in you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17 is one of my most favorite scriptures in all of the Bible. I am often reminded of it in moments of sadness and despair. This short verse has a lot to say, and it does not take a multi-degreed biblical scholar to understand it.
- First, God reminds us that He is present. Often times in our darkest moments we cannot sense His presence, but rest assured He is with us. (Deuteronomy 31:6, Hebrews 13:5 CSB) Knowing He is present should give us the strength and courage to press on.
- Second, God is fighting for our salvation. What a picture this is of His incredible love for us. He is not just sitting back hoping we come to saving faith, he is battling for us.
- Third, God rejoices over us. The human race has mastered criticism so it is rare that we feel loved and valued by those around us. (Psalm 147:11 CSB) God’s love for us is so great that He sacrificed His only son for us. He is cheering us on to victory!
- Fourth, His love is tender. God does not withhold discipline, but He always assures us of His love toward us. (Psalm 147:3, Luke 1:78-79) When my spirit is overwhelmed with life God often wraps His loving arms around me reassuring me He has not left me alone.
- Fifth, He sings over us. As a worship pastor that spends a lot of time singing it is amazing to know that my God sings over me. God rejoices over us when we faithfully follow Him.
What verse or passage does God bring to your mind in your low moments in life?