“Table Talk” Discussion Questions (Acts 20:13-38)
1. In your experience with Christian leaders, who has exemplified serving with “great humility and tears” as Paul mentions in Acts 20:19? In your opinion, why is humility often under-valued in leadership in
2. Paul explains to the leaders of the church in Ephesus, “I have not
hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have
taught you publicly from house to house.” Why do you think preachers may be tempted or hesitant to preach certain things to their church members/leaders? Paul mentions going from house to house. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of house churches in modern times?
3. Read through Acts 20:25-31; Paul warns the leaders of several dangers for the church in Ephesus. Explain your thoughts on how leaders in the church should “keep watch” and use discernment in their leadership.
4. Paul commits those in leadership to the Lord and the Word of His grace. How is following God’s calling humbling? Dangerous? Exciting? How would you describe your calling from the Lord?
5. Paul seems to transform from hard-driving missionary to loving
friend in this passage. Has your preoccupation with the task of ministry ever caused you to miss out on loving people? Explain.